Monday, March 24, 2008

Spring Flinging

Despite still suffering through whatever this b.s. sinus issue is (I went to the doctor today, where I was asked,"Have you tried Sudafed?" Uh, thanks for the tip, Doc), I made it out and about just a bit this weekend. Friday night was drinks and karaoke with my girls S and S, also known as the founding members of the Mary Banilows, an all-girl Barry Manilow cover band that the three of us cooked up conceptually one night. This Friday's brainiac-tastic idea was to buy the old Tower Records on Market Street in the Castro and convert it into a karaoke place full of private karaoke rooms (like the one the three of went to on Friday night), but to also have a bar attached, so patrons can order drinks while they're singing (like the one the three of us went to in London last year).

I also managed to drag myself to the Home Depot, accompanied by my friend D. He patiently waited while I picked out $68 worth of herbs, tomato plants, and planter boxes, and then generously offered his services as a backyard digger. I'd forgotten how nice it feels to plant things you one day hope to eat--I've never been one to plant flowers, not because I don't like them, but because I end up feeling less invested than I should in their health and well-being, and then I travel for work and forget to ask someone to take care of them and they die and I feel awful. But for some reason, I get very attached to my tomato plants and my little boxes of thyme and oregano and Italian flat-leaf parsley.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My expertise is in business development, not agriculture. I will assume no responsibility for any premature tomato deaths.